قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / World / Afghanistan: At least 17 killed in car bomb Eid

Afghanistan: At least 17 killed in car bomb Eid



Afghan health workers carry injured man taken to emergency hospital after car bomb explodes at crowded market in Logar province

Image copyright
EPA

Image subtitle

The Taliban have denied responsibility for the attack

At least 1

7 people have been killed in Afghanistan in a powerful car bomb blast in Logar province.

The blast occurred on the eve of a ceasefire declared by the Taliban during the Eid festival.

The Taliban have denied responsibility for the attack, while the Islamic State has not yet commented.

The attack is believed to have been carried out by a suicide bomber, Dedar Lawang, a spokesman for Logar’s governor, told AFP news agency.

  • Afghanistan: the long road to peace

The blast occurred near the governor’s office and where many people were shopping for the festival.

Image copyright
EPA

Image subtitle

The blast occurred on a busy street

“Terrorists have again struck the night of Eid al-Adha and killed several countrymen,” Interior Ministry spokesman Tariq Arian said.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the attack had “nothing to do” with the group.

The Taliban and Afghan governments have agreed to a three-day ceasefire from Friday, the first day of Eid.

There are hopes of a permanent truce, but peace talks have been delayed due to prisoner exchanges. An agreement was reached that the government would release 5,000 Taliban prisoners in exchange for 1,000 from its security personnel.

The Afghan government has released more than 4,400 Taliban prisoners, while a spokesman for the insurgents said on Thursday that a total of 1,005 government inmates had already been released.

You may also be interested in:

Media playback is not supported on your device

Multimedia subtitle“I was with the Taliban for a year”


Source link